Water Resource Development Act of 2022
How WRDA Works for Water
The Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) is essential to everyday American life. That’s because projects enacted by WRDA are critical to our ports, harbor protect our homes, businesses, and families; and restore and protect national ecological treasures.
How exactly does this make an impact in your life?
To start, nearly 80% of traded goods that Americans rely on are moved through our nation’s ports, harbors, and inland waterways. That means that keeping stores stocked with the goods you need and enjoy depends on keeping our water infrastructure up-to-date and working well.
WRDA also includes projects that reduce the damage of floods, helping protect both our rural and urban communities. Not only do millions of Americans face damage from flooding, but the costs of flooding is expected to increase due to the effects of climate change (Reuters). It’s more important than ever to invest in water resources infrastructure that can save money for hardworking families while also protecting the natural landscape of our communities.
Finally, ecosystem restoration projects help restore and maintain our vital natural resources. These projects include restoring the Everglades, Meramec River basin in Missouri, the Chesapeake Bay, and a whole lot more!
All of this work, carried out by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Corps), is made possible through the enactment of WRDA.
Since 2014, Congress has proven that bipartisan WRDAs can be developed and passed on a biennial basis because of their critical importance to all 50 states, territories, and Tribal nations. In 2020, the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee crafted WRDA 2020, which includes key provisions that increase investment in our ports, harbors and inland waterways; build more resilient communities; and ensure that the Corps carries out projects in an economically and environmentally responsible manner.
Now, the committee is working to pass WRDA 2022 while ensuring that WRDA 2020 is quickly and fully implemented as Congress intended.
WRDA Makes a Big Impact
Learn by Topic
A Tidal Wave of Support
See What Supporters Are Saying About WRDA 2022
View supporters of WRDA 2020 here.
Recent Press Releases
- Mar 16, 2022 : Chairs DeFazio, Napolitano Statements from Members’ Day Hearing for WRDA 2022
- Mar 11, 2022 : Chairs DeFazio, Napolitano Announce Members’ Day Hearing on Proposals for WRDA 2022
- Feb 8, 2022 : Chairs DeFazio, Napolitano Statements from Hearing on Stakeholder Priorities for WRDA 2022
- Feb 4, 2022 : Chairs DeFazio, Napolitano Announce Hearing on Stakeholder Priorities for WRDA 2022
- Jan 12, 2022 : Chairs DeFazio, Napolitano Statements from Hearing on the Administration’s Priorities for WRDA 2022
- Jan 7, 2022 : Chairs DeFazio, Napolitano Announce Hearing on the Administration’s Priorities for WRDA 2022