Economic Development, Public Buildings, and Emergency Management
The Subcommittee on Economic Development, Public Buildings, and Emergency Management is responsible for the authorization and oversight of federal real estate programs, including construction, repair, alteration, maintenance, and enhancement of such real property; the authorization and oversight of programs promoting economic development in communities suffering economic distress; the authorization and oversight of programs addressing the federal management of emergencies and disasters; and a variety of measures affecting homeland security, including the all-hazards nature of the federal response to disasters and the Federal Protective Service.
The asset management activities of the Subcommittee jurisdiction include: improved grounds of the United States, generally, and measures relating to the Public Buildings Service (PBS) of the General Services Administration (GSA)—the civilian landlord of the federal government—including the planning, site and design, construction, acquisition, and renovation of public buildings, courthouses, and border facilities, and the leasing of space for federal employees; the physical plant and infrastructure of the Capitol Complex and use of the Capitol Grounds; the facilities of the White House complex; the facilities of the Smithsonian Institution, including all new and proposed facilities; facilities of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts; Union Station Redevelopment; Judiciary Centers; measures relating to the location, use, accessibility, energy conservation, security, health and safety, and transfer or exchange of federal buildings; and the naming of federal buildings and courthouses.
The economic development activities of the Subcommittee include jurisdiction over the Economic Development Administration (EDA) of the Department of Commerce, the Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC), the Denali Commission, the Delta Regional Authority (DRA), the Northern Great Plains Regional Authority, the Southeast Crescent Regional Commission, the Southwest Border Regional Commission, and the Northern Border Regional Commission.
The Subcommittee’s jurisdiction of federal management of emergencies and natural disasters includes Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) oversight and activities relating to disaster mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery, as well as programs relating to first responders. These activities are authorized by the Stafford Act, the Homeland Security Act of 20002, Title VI of the Homeland Security Appropriations Act of 2007, and the “Post-Katrina Emergency Management Reform Act” (PKEMRA). The Subcommittee is also responsible for the all-hazards nature of the National Preparedness System (“NPS”) and a national preparedness goal that is consistent with the National Incident Management System (“NIMS”) and the National Response Framework (“NRF”). These programs, plans, and directives form the basis of the national approach to emergency preparedness and response.
- Nov 2, 2021 : “The General Services Administration’s Priorities for 2021 and Beyond”
- Oct 26, 2021 : T&I Leaders Introduce Bipartisan Legislation to Help Communities Prepare for and Respond to Disasters
- Oct 26, 2021 : Chairs DeFazio, Titus Statements from Hearing to Examine FEMA’s Assistance Programs’ Ability to Help Before, During, and After Wildfires
- Oct 26, 2021 : “Are FEMA’s Assistance Programs Adequately Designed to Assist Communities Before, During, and After Wildfire?”
- Oct 22, 2021 : Chairs DeFazio, Titus Announce Hearing to Examine FEMA’s Assistance Programs Before, During, and After Wildfires
- Oct 20, 2021 : Sam Graves & Bipartisan Committee Leaders Introduce the SPEED Recovery Act for Faster Disaster Recovery
- Jun 23, 2021 : Chairs DeFazio, Titus Statements from Hearing with FEMA Administrator Deanne Criswell on the Agency’s Priorities for the Upcoming Fiscal Year
- Jun 23, 2021 : “FEMA’s Priorities for FY22 and Beyond: Coordinating Mission, Vision, and Budget”
- Jun 18, 2021 : Chairs DeFazio and Titus Announce Subcommittee Hearing Next Week with FEMA Administrator Deanne Criswell
- May 17, 2021 : Committee Leaders Question FEMA After Approvals for Disaster Survivor Aid Program Falls to All-Time Low
- May 13, 2021 : "Federal Real Estate Post-COVID-19 Part One: A View from The Private Sector"
- May 7, 2021 : Chairs DeFazio, Titus Announce First Hearing in Series on Federal Real Estate Post-COVID-19
- Apr 28, 2021 : Chair Titus Statement from Hearing on the Reauthorization of the Economic Development Administration
- Apr 28, 2021 : “Investing in America: Reauthorization of the Economic Development Administration”
- Apr 23, 2021 : Chairs DeFazio, Titus Announce Subcommittee Hearing on Reauthorization of the Economic Development Administration